Church and Slippers of Liliw, Laguna



After Nagcarlan, we went in Liliw, Laguna. 


Liliw is just five minutes away from Nagcarlan. After eight pesos jeepney ride, me and my buddy got off at one end of Gat Tayaw Street (the street where the shoe/sandals/slippers stores are located). I was amazed by the number of stores in that street and was already ready to start my hunt for the right fit for my feet but my companion wanted to see and say graces at Liliw Church first.

Gat Tayaw St., Liliw Laguna

            Trailing my companion with a heavy heart, I passed these shoe stores hoping that we still have time to buy later knowing how long my buddy pray.


As soon as I saw the façade of St John the Baptist Church, I was immediately elated and my energy are up again. (I’m a sucker of old churches.)


Like Church of Nagcarlan, façade of St. John the de Baptist Church of Liliw is also made of red bricks and adobe. On top of the main entrance, there is a white sculpted image of the Baptism of Jesus by St. John the Baptist. Stained glass images also adorn the front of the church. 

St John de Baptist Church of Liliw, Laguna
        As I made my way inside the church, what I immediately noticed was, if my counting was right, the six LCD TV (three on each side) attached on the walls of the church.  I assumed that this church has more benefactors than Nagcarlan Church for it looks well maintain than the other. A lot of tourists also visit this church, maybe because of the flourishing shoe/slipper industry of the town. 





        The church has three retablo (altar) in gold color adorn with statues of saints. Thirteen saints are house in the main retablo while the two smaller retablo house four statues each.  The church’s pulpit (where the priest deliver’s his sermon during the old days) is also in gold. I don’t know if it is still being used.
retablos

the pulpit

choir area
 After saying our prayers, we hurriedly go back at Gat Tayaw Street to buy shoes and slippers. Of course my buddy can’t pass the lying Nazareno and chapel where the body of Christ is being venerated without stopping and re-airing his thanks and requests to the Lord. (Peace, buddy!)  

 




            
           As we went outside, it’s already starting to get dark. So we hurriedly check the shoes stores. I end up buying three pairs at Badong Shoe factory, the most prominent store in the municipality they say because of the design, quality and price; and another two in other stores. I was also bought three dresses, my pasalubong for my nieces and god child, of good quality at a very low cost. 



Roaming around the different stores, I realized that most of the stores have similar products. They only vary in pricing. Badong has fix price for their products while in other stores, you can haggle for prices and end up buying at a lesser price. So, practice your bargaining skills. Going back in the institute, my friend (who is from Liliw) told me that most of the products in Liliw are being made by the locals in their houses. They are either contracted to do such design by the store owners or they distribute their products as a concessionaire in the different stores thereat. 





Truly, slippers and shoes of Liliw are of quality, beautifully designed and cheap. Prices range from Php 40.00 to Php 750.00 depending on the design and material used. One of the slippers I bought cost only Php 230.00 while you can bought it in tiange for Php 450-550.00.


I will definitely be back in Liliw not just to buy more shoes and slippers but also to attend mass at its church. 

Mga Komento

Mga sikat na post sa blog na ito

Finding Nagcarlan Underground Cemetery

Sneaking-in at Nagcarlan Church